Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Peace-Makers and Peace-Breakers

Lots of my teaching ideas come from Pinterest. This lesson borrowed a lesson I found online and I modified it for my setting.

I started out with chart paper or white board (depending on the classroom) and had the students brainstorm things that would break the peace (name calling, hurting others on purpose, leaving people out, not playing by the rules, cutting in line, not taking turns) and things that would build peace (sharing, kind words, helping others, letting someone else go first, playing fair).

After brainstorming a good list, we talked about how good school feels when everyone feels safe and welcome -- and that to make that happen it takes 100% of the people building peace.

To finish out the lesson I read the book The Brand New Kid by Katie Couric and then we did a coloring sheet about peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask a question. Just be aware that the comments here are moderated. Let's all try to build peace -- bullies aren't welcome here.