Monday, April 13, 2015

Welcome to the Peace Teacher blog

My students usually call me "The Peace Lady" and I guess that's as good a description as any. I work in a grant-funded program called "PeaceBuilders" where I teach kids the soft social skills they need to make wise choices. The aim of my program is to reduce violence and drug abuse in my community. We do that by emphasizing the language of peace, respect, safety and wise choices throughout our district.

My specific position involves teaching 25-minute lessons every other week on a teaching rotation with the school counselor. Topics include:

  • Making friends
  • Self-esteem
  • Kind words and actions
  • Helping others
  • Understanding emotions
  • Managing anger
  • Resolving conflict peacefully
  • Honesty
  • Manners
  • Self-Control
  • Peer Pressure
  • Cigarettes, alcohol, inhalants, illegal drugs
Whether you are a classroom teacher, school counselor, school social worker or administrator, I hope you'll find a useful classroom lesson idea on this blog. Because peace is free, so are my lessons.